PULA (44° 52'N; 13° 50'E), city (pop. 62,378 in 1991), port and arina at the SW end of the Istrian peninsula. It lies in a atural bay sheltered by a peninsula and breakwater.
Approach: The signal station on Muzilj hill (on peninsula S of arbour entarnce), the red light on Prostina point N of entrance square stone tower the upper part coloured red), green light on he head of the Kumpar breakwater (green tower with a post and a allery) and the light on Pinida point (square tower beside ouse, white isophase light) are easily identified from seaward. hen approaching at night keep to the middle of the channel and hape course for the red light on the S side of Sveti Andrija slet; when a clear passage can be seen between Sveti Andrija and veta Katarina course may be shaped for the passage between the wo islands and bezween two pairs of light markers (port-red, tarboard-green) which lead to the E part of the harbour. The assage between the two islands is marked by two red cylindrical owers with red lights on the NW side, and two green cylindrical owers with green lights on the SE side.
Restricted and forbidden zones. From the alignment Prostina point umpar point to alignment Sveti Andrija island Sveti Petar pennsula vessels must sail at a speed of less than 8 knots, and rom this zone onwards at a speed of not more than 5 knots. essels must pass the ships moored at Uljanik shipyard at the reatest possible distance. Workboats with divers and frogmen on oard must be passed at minimum speed and with engines stopped. n the passage between Sveti Andrija and Sveta Katarina islands ncoming vessels must give-way to vessels leaving port. In this assage vessels are forbidden to use sail as their only means of ropulsion. Vessels must not approach within 50m of Sveti Andrija nd Sveta Katarina islands and the mainland coast E of the end of he Fizela vela cove (Lucica) and the piers in Pod stine cove at umpar point. Pleasure boats, motor-boats, sailing-boats and peed-boats must not approach within 50m of bathing beaches and wimming establishments marked with protective nets. Water-skiing s prohibited in the harbour area.
veti Petar peninsula and the islets of Sveti Andrija and Sveta atarina divide the harbour area into an outer and an inner harour.
Mooring: In the inner (commercial) E part yachts can berth at the ijeka Pier (Gat Rijeka, depths 3.57.9m) at Arena quay (depths .56.0m) or Marshal Tito Quay (depths 2.56.0m). It is recommended o moor in Pula marina. There is anchorage about 400m NW of ijeka Pier (8.5m).
he section of the waterfront from Marshal Tito Quay to the shipard bridge is reserved for fishing boats. The best anchorage for arge yachts is WSW of the railway station.
Pula is open to international sailing and is a permanent port of ntry. Harbour master's office, customs, sale of charts and naviation publications (PLOVPUT Plovno podrucje Pula Sailing in the Pula Area, in harbour master's office building); railway station, ost office, medical service, hospital, chemist's. Uljanik and vijaticar Fishing Clubs, Uljanik Sports club (Veruda bay) and ornar Yacht Club (Soline bay).
Facilities: Water from hydrant; fuel station on the small pier in front of the harbour master's office; duty-free shop, nautical quipment and storage facilities (Brodokomerc).
There is a 15 t electric crane at the shore end of Rijeka pier; Uljanik shipyard can carry out all repairs to hulls and engines of all sizes; this work can also be carried out in Pula and Uljanik shipyards.
Car-ferry line: Pula - Mali Losinj - Silba - Zadar.
At the beginning of July the Istria Regatta is organized in Pula (Pula - Porec - Umag - Rovinj - Pula), and during July a Film Festival.
Sights: Kastel (after 177 B.C., alterations in 13 C and 1631), oman Amphitheatre (12 C, 23,000 spectators), Slavoluk Sergeevaca (Triumphal Arch of the Sergians, 1 C B.C.), Porta Gemina 2/3 C), Roman mosaic showing the punishment of Dirce (1 C, Ulica rvog maja), Temple of Augustus (1 C), Cathedral (45 C, recontructions in 15 C and in 1640), chapel in the church of Sta aria Formosa (about 556, mosaic), Sv Franjo church (St. Francis 4 C, polyptych), Town Hall (1296, restored in 1653), Archaeologcal Museum of Istria with collection of stone monuments and ragments, Theatrium Iuliae on Monte Zaro (1 C). Vodnjan, Sv laz church (St Blasius, rich collection of liturgical items; own Hall with art collection) 10km. Valtura (Illyrian settleent, Roman colony of Nesactium in the village of Vizace) 11km.
PULA MARINA (ACY) is in the SE part of the city harbour (Istra ier).
There are sea-berths for 220 vessels at the pontoons projecting rom Istra pier, (depth 48m) and 100 dry-berths. Water, electriity and telephone hook-ups.
The marina has reception office, restaurant, shops and duty-free shops, coffee-bar, toilets and showers with hot water; laundry; car-park; fuel pumps (150m from marina).
Small repairs to hull and engine and electric installations can be carried out in the marina. Larger repairs in Pula and Uljanik shipyards.
he marina is open all the year round.