NIN (44° 14'N; 15° 11'E), old Croatian historical town (pop. 1,692 in 1991) in the shallow lagoon in the bay of the same name. The shallows extend far offshore.
Approach: Landmarks: the chimney of the brickyard NE of the town, the belfry of the church in Nin and the chapel NE of Privlaka harbour.
Mooring: The bay is exposed to the bora and the sirocco, which are very strong but do not cause big waves. The best anchorage for vessels drawing up to 1.2m is in the E part of the bay; larger yachts can anchor off the NE coast of the bay, in the direction NNE of the belfry of the church in Nin. E from the town (0.5 M) there is Miljasic jaruga (Miljasic gully) where the stream reaches the sea. Along the quay (on the left side) there are berths for vessels drawing up to 2 m.
Facilities: Post office, medical service and chemist's. Limitied provisions and water.
Several sites of medicinal mud (pelloid, with 80% colloid particles). Nin has salt pans (which cover an area of 45 hectares), a brickyard and a tree nursery.
Sights: Neolithic finds; Illyrian and Liburnian finds (town of Aenona): ceramics, a necropolis, tombstones; from the Roman times: town walls, bridges, cemetery, aqueduct, Diana's Temple (about 70 A.D.); medieval churches of Sv Kriz (Holy Cross, 11 C?), Sv Asel (renovated in 1673 and 1965, with the chapel of Sv Ivan Krstitelj /St John the Baptist/), of Sv Ambrozije (Gothic, renovated, built on the site of the former Benedictine monastery), of Gospa od Ruzarija on the cemetery (Our Lady of the Rosary, mentioned in a document from 1228); Sv Nikola church at Prahulje (late 11 C); the Slav necropolis on Zdrijac beach (250 tombs, 8/9 C).
In 1069 king Petar Kresimir issued in Nin the deed of gift known as Mare Nostrum. The remains of an old Croatian ship dating back to the 10 or 11 C have been excavated near the town. The Statute of the District of Nin regulating shipping and fishing in the region popularly believed to date from 1103 a more probable dating is 15 C.