NOVIGRAD (44° 11'N; 15° 33'E), village (pop. 640 in 1991) and small harbour in the cove on the S coast of Novigradsko more.
Approach: Landmarks: the stone tower (red light) on Sv Nikola point and the chapel can be easily identified.
Mooring: The cove is sheltered from all winds except the bora, which causes a slop in the harbour (considerable oscillations of the sea level). Smaller yachts can moor along the pier in the cove; with the bora blowing, use the four-point moor, securing to both ends of the cove.
Facilities: Harbour master's branch office, post office, medical service, chemist's, a hotel, several restaurants and shops.
Provisions in local shops; water from the hydrant in front of the harbour office.
There is a mussel farm in the cove.
Sights: Queen Elisabeth (executed in 1387), widow of Ludovic of Anjou the Great, King of Hungary, and Maria, later wife of Sigismund of Luxembourg, were imprisoned in the Castle of Novigrad. Fortress above the town (13 C) with partly preserved town walls; Sv Kata church (St Catherine, fragments of lace-ornaments and church furniture). Pridraga, 6km SSE (Sv Mihovil church /St Michael/, 10/11 C, six-foil ground-plan, Sv Martin church /St Martin, part of it is early Christian, old Croatian necropolis of Goricine) 6km SSE; Kugin cunj (a stone on the hill above the village) tradition has it that it protects the village from the plague. Islam Grcki, the redoubt of Stojan Jankovic, a fighter against the Turks, 17 C.