SALI - ISLAND OF DUGI OTOK
SALI (43° 56'N; 15° 10'E), largest village (pop. 1,190 in 1991) and fishing harbour on the NE coast of Dugi otok.
Approach: Landmarks: the quadrangular tower (green light) on Bluda point at the entrance to the harbour; the red tower with a column and gallery (red light) on the head of the outer breakwater; the belfry in the village and the factory chimney at the SE edge of the village.
Mooring: The outer part of the cove is exposed to SE winds. The inner part with the harbour is better sheltered. Secure by using the four-point moor. Most of the berths in the harbour are occupied by the local fishing boats. Small yachts can anchor in the outer part of the harbour; during SE winds go to the anchorage in Sascica bay (0.5M northwest of the village of Sali; depth up to 26 m).
Facilities: Harbour master's branch office, post office and medical service. Provisions and water available.
The boatyard in Sascica cove carries out hull and engine repairs. Marine engine maintenance and repairs at the workshop attached to the Mardesic fish cannery.
Sali is the venue of the annual fishermen's festival called Saljske uzance (Sali party), which is held in August.
Sights: Uzasasce Marijino church (Assumption of Our Lady, 1465, altar 1584; collection of stone monuments), a number of patrician houses (from the Renaissance onwards). Near the village remnants of a Roman villa rustica. At Stivanje polje Sv Ivan church (St John, 1060), on Citorij hill, Sv Viktor church (9/11 C). A fine olive grove at Saljsko polje (botanical reserve).