UGLJAN - ISLAND OF UGLJAN
UGLJAN (44° 08'N; 15° 07'E), village (pop. 1,070 in 1991) and small harbour on the NE coast of the island.
Approach: Landmarks: the red column on the head of the breakwater and the monastery on the N entrance point. Care should be taken of the rocky shoals (1 m) NW off the entrance.
Mooring: The harbour is protected from the sirocco but is open to the bora. Smaller yachts can moor along the inner end of the breakwater or moor (four-point moor) near the root of the breakwater (depth 0.51 m). The depth in the inner harbour (SW part) is about 1 m. The anchorage some 0.5M southeast of the light (depth 610 m) is safe only in the sirocco but should not be considered in the bora.
Facilities: Post office, medical service, hotel, restaurant and shops. Provisions in local shops.
Sights: The Franciscan monastery (1430) with a cloister and Sv Jerolim church (St Jerome, 1447); next to the cove the ruins of a Roman villa rustica; at Stivan the ruins of early Christian buildings (46 C).