SENJ (44° 59.4'N; 14° 54'E), town (pop. 5,998 in 1991) and harbour in Velebitski kanal.
Approach: Landmarks: quadrangular Fort Nehaj on the hill S of the town, the octagonal stone tower with a white light on the head of the S breakwater Marija art and the octagonal stone tower with a red light on the head of N breakwater (Sv Ambroz); the white tower with a green light on the head of the Sv Nikola mole in the harbour and the shoal (a pile of stones) off the S breakwater.
Mooring: The harbour is open to the NW; the most dangerous wind is the bora which most frequently blows from ENE and often reaches gale-force. It comes very suddenly and therefore the harbour is not safe. The bora is heralded by a clear blue sky above the harbour and thick white clouds with a clearly outlined horizontal edge over the Velebit Mountains. Sometimes tiny clouds separate from the white cloud and are carried towards SW by the bora.
The best mooring is by the quay between the two moles. When mooring by the Marija Art breakwater, care should be taken of the underwater bank. The best mooring in the sirocco is by the Sv Nikola mole. Other well-sheltered anchorages in the vicinity are Spasovac (1 M south) and Jelena (1 M north).
Some 500m NE of the harbour is an underwater pipeline (35m off the waterfront).
Facilities: Senj is a permanent port of entry with customs, harbour master's branch office, post office, hospital, medical service, chemist's, hotel, several restaurants and shops. Kanj Fishing Club.
Water from the hydrant on the mole of Sv Nikola; good shopping for provisions; fuel at the petrol pump some 100m N of the harbour.
Sights: Remains of the town wall (1516 C) with Vela Vrata (Big Gate, 1779) and Sabac Tower, Sv Marija cathedral (St Mary, 11 C, reconstructed in 18 C, renovated 1947), the belfry of Sv Franjo church (St Francis, built in 1558, destroyed in a bombing raid in WW II), Kastel (Fort, 1340, later reconstructed), the Vukasovic mansion (15 C, now the Town Museum), Kastel Nehaj (Nehaj Castle, 1558, renovated in 196675, now part of the Town Museum), Sveta Marija od Arta church (St Mary of Art, 15 C, renovated in 18 C, votive church of seamen).