BASKA - ISLAND OF KRK
BASKA (44° 58'N; 14° 46'E), village (pop. 816 in 1991), tourist resort and small harbour in the N part of Bascanska draga.
Approach: Landmarks: the coast lights in Senjska vrata: the white tower with a gallery (white light) in front of the house on Strazica point (Prvic Island); the red tower (red light) on Skuljica point (Krk Island); the ruins on Kricin point (E of the harbour); the belfry in the town; the quadrangular tower with a green top (green light) on the head of the breakwater; the red tower with a column and gallery (red light) on the head of the pier.
Mooring: Smaller vessels can moor along the waterfront; the root of the breakwater is reserved for passenger ships and a carferry. Larger vessels can anchor some 400m off the breakwater bearing SW (depths 2030 m); good holding. The inner harbour (depths 1.53 m) is sheltered from all winds; the anchorage is exposed to the bora and SE winds and is not recommended for a longer stay.
NE of Baska there are Vela luka and Mala luka coves, and SE there is Bracol cove. In Vela luka there is a landing ground (30 m long, 2 m deep); it is well protected from the sirocco and from the bora; during the stormy bora it is recommended to use a four-point moor along the E coast. In Mala luka there is a natural coast, but it is a safe shelter from all winds. In Bracol cove there is a landing ground for small vessels; it is well protected from all winds.
Facilities: Harbour master's branch office, post office, several shops, hotels, restaurants, travel agency, bank, camp site, mediccal service, chemist's. Skrpina Fishing Club and Vihor Sailing Club.
Water from a hydrant, provisions in the village. The harbour has two small slipways and a crane (0.8 t).
Car-ferry line: Baska - Senj and Baska - Lopar (Island of Rab).
Sights: Remains and excavations of the Roman settlement and fortifications; the churches of Sv Ivan (St John, early Romanesque), Sv Trojica (Holy Trinity, 1723), and Sv Marko (St Mark, Romanesque); Town Museum (ethnographic and maritime collections). Jurandvor: a former Benedictine monastery with Sv Lucija church (St Lucia), about 1100, the original site of the Bascanska ploca, the oldest Glagolitic inscription (on a stone tablet, dating back to ca. 1100) 2 km by road. Further on there is Bascanska draga village and a pheasant farm 4.5 km by road.
Baska is the venue of two traditional events taking place in August: Fishermen's Day (Dan ribara) and the Traditional Baska Wedding (Bascanski starinski pir).