ILOVIK - ISLAND OF ILOVIK
ILOVIK (44° 28'N; 14° 33'E), village (pop. 145 in 1991) and small harbour on the NW coast of the island of Ilovik. The middle fairway between the islands of Ilovik and Sv Petar (bearing NWSE) is navigable for yachts drawing up to 6 m.
Approach: Landmarks: shape course for the white tower with a column and gallery (white light) on the islet of Sv Petar and the belfry of the church in Ilovik.
Mooring: The harbour is sheltered from all winds; a strong sirocco sends in an unpleasant sea. The best anchorage for smaller yachts is in the middle of the fairway, S of the small church on Sv Petar (depths 710 m), stern-to NE; several bollards. Moor along the head of the pier (60m long, depth 3.5 m) off the village; smaller vessels can moor along the pier in the E part of the harbour.
Facilities: Post office. Limited provisions and water.
Coastal passenger lines: IlovikPremudaSilbaOlibZadar, IlovikMali Losinj (see also Mali Losinj and Zadar).
Sights: The ruins of a large prehistoric fortification at Straza. On the islet of Sv Petar are the ruins of a Roman villa rustica and of the walls of the Benedictine monastery St Petrus in Nembis (11 C); also a defence tower, built in 1597 against the Uskoks.