KRK - ISLAND OF KRK
KRK (45° 10.6'N; 14° 34.5'E), town (pop. 3,022 in 1991) and harbour in the NW part of Krcki zaljev (Krk Bay).
Approach: Landmarks: the church with the belfry surmounted by a statue; the quadrangular red brick tower (red light) on the head of the breakwater; the round white tower with a column (green light) on the head of the E breakwater.
Mooring: The harbour is open to the sirocco and partly protected from the bora (EENE); it offers very good shelter in all other winds. The safest mooring during the sirocco (waves splash over the breakwater) for larger vessels is on the inner side of the E mole (depth 3.54.0 m), which is otherwise reserved for ships of the coastal passengers lines, and for smaller vessels deeper in the harbour. The best mooring during the bora is along the quay between the two moles (four-point moor). The breakwater is not accessible because of shoals and scattered stones.
Facilities: Harbour master's branch office, post office, medical service, chemist's, museum, travel agency, several hotels, camp site, shops, shipyard. Lovrata Fishing Club and Plav Sailing and Rowing Club.
Water from the hydrant at the entrance mole; fuel in the harbour at the small mole and in the W part of the harbour.
The Riba shipyard carries out general repairs including diesel engine repairs; hauling-out service.
Car-ferry lines: Valbiska - Merag; Baska - Lopar (Island of Rab).
Sights: Uznesenje Marijino Cathedral (The Assumption of Our Lady, 12 C, built on the site of the Roman thermae /1 C/ which was succeeded by an early Christian basilica /5/6 C/; an art collection with items ranging from Classical times to the Baroque; Gothic chapel of the Frankopan family), the Bishop's Palace with an art collection, the two-storey basilica of Sv Kirin (St Quirinus, Romanesque, fragments of wall paintings), the churches of Gospa od Zdravlja (Our Lady of Salvation, Early Romanesque, 12 C), and Sv Franjo (St Francis, 1290); the Canon's House (11 C); Kotter House with Romanesque windows, well-preserved town walls (from 11 C onwards) with Kamplin Tower (1191), fort, bastions (15/16 C) and a round tower; Roman cemetery.