OMISALJ - ISLAND OF KRK
OMISALJ (45° 13'N; 14° 33'E), town (pop. 1,554 in 1991) and small harbour on the N coast of Krk Island, in the bay of Omisalj.
Warning: On the W coast of the bay is the oil unloading terminal; vessels are not allowed to come nearer than 500 m to the coast. The sea area around Sapan cove is the industrial zone of the harbour of the INA petroleum company.
Approach: From W landmarks: the large white oil containers on Tenka peninsula; some 1.5 M northwest of Kijac point is the light buoy with red and white stripes (white light); the round red tower (red light) on Kijac point; several light buoys mark the fairway for tankers and a landing-light in Omisalj marks the approach course 151°; the white tower with the column and gallery (red light) on the head of the pier; the hotel near the pier and the water-supply tower.
Mooring: Only smaller yachts (draught up to 3 m) can moor along the pier in the harbour and the moles in the small harbour SE of the pier. In front of the Jadran hotel there is a pier (50 m, depth 3.5 m).
Facilities: Harbour master's branch office, post office, medical service, shops. Zubatac Fishing Club and Juna Sailing Club.
Provisions, water from the main. Fuel at the pump some 2 km from the waterfront.
Off-season dockage f
Facilities: Minor repairs to wooden boats and speedboats can be undertaken. Crane (5 t).
Omisalj is the venue of the Stomarina Festival (August 15), the day of all seagoing vessels.
Sights: The town has a Gothic street lay-out. The churches of Marijino Uznesenje (Assumption of Our Lady, built before 1405, later additions, three-nave Romanesque basilica), Sv Jelena (St Helena, 1470), Sv Antun (St Anthony, Romanesque) and Sv Ivan (St John, 1442); the ruins of the Rector's palace (14/15 C), the Loggia (1470), Pancirov House (Gothic). In Sepen cove the ruins of Fulfinium (Roman, 13 C) with a basilica (6 C).