RAB - ISLAND OF RAB
RAB (44° 45'N; 14° 46'E), town and harbour (pop. 592 in 1991) on the island of the same name.
Approach: Landmarks: the town walls and four belfries; the round green tower with a gallery (green light) on a concrete base on Frkanj shoal; the quadrangular stone tower with a red top (red light) on Frkanj point; the round red tower on Sv Ante point (red light) and the multi-storey tower with a green topmark on the islet of Tunera (green light); the white tower with a column and gallery (white light) on Donji point (the islet of Dolin).
Warning: Off the entrance to the outer part of the harbour are two shoals: Vela sika (3.8 m) and Frkanj. Do not exceed 3 knots when entering or leaving the harbour.
Mooring: The inner harbour is sheltered from all winds except the south-easterlies. The sirocco causes a strong swell in the harbour with waves flooding part of the W waterfront. It is therefore recommended for yachts to go to the Rab marina. The best anchorage for larger yachts is in the nearby Sveta Fumija cove (depth 428 m) and NW of Tunera islet at the entrance to the harbour.
Facilities: Harbour master's branch office, post office, several hotels and restaurants, various shops, medical service and chemist's. There is a naturist hotel complex on Frkanj peninsula. Kanjac Fishing Club.
Provisions are available in shops. Water from a hydrant, fuel from the pump in the Rab marina.
Several boatyards at Banjol make and repair boats, speedboats and small wooden and plastic yachts. The mechanics at Banjol carry out repairs of outboard engines (JOHNSON, CHRYSLER, EVINRUDE, VOLVOPENTA, SAAB).
Car-ferry lines: Lopar-Baska (Island of Krk) and Misnjak-Jablanac (mainland).
Sights: The town wall (12/13 C, later reinforced, pulled down in part at the beginning of 20 C), with the Town Tower; Rector's Palace (13 C, later reconstructions), the Loggia (1509), Sv Marija Velika cathedral (St Mary the Great, 1177, renovated in 1278 and 1483, ciborium about 1500, choir stalls 1455, with the parish art collection, the belfry from 1181); the ruins of Sv Ivan church (St John, 10/11 C, with the belfry from 12 C); the churches of Sv Andrija (St Andrew, Romanesque, reconstructed in the Renaissance) and Sv Justina (1573-1578); the residences of the families Crnota (15 C), Cassio (Gothic), Dominis-Nimira (15/16 C), Nimira (16 C, with a portal), Tudorin, Kukulic and MarcicGalzigna. Komrcar Park, landscaped at the end of 19 C, with Sv Franjo church (St Francis, 1490). In Trg Slobode square stands the Tree of Freedom (Stablo slobode) a natural memorial. In the NW part of the island is Dundo Wood a nature reserve.
RAB MARINA (ACY) is situated on the E side of the inner harbour, directly behind the breakwater, in the SE part of the harbour. It is sheltered from all winds except the southerlies by the breakwater; SE winds cause a strong slop (especially dangerous in the winter) and raises the sea level by up to 1 m; it can break the securing ropes of vessels and floating fingers.
The marina has 150 berths for yachts drawing up to 5m and up to 15m in length; there are dry-berths only for yachts that are being repaired or overhauled. Water and electricity hook-ups at the berths. The marina has a meteorological service (warning and alarm sounding, weather reports and other relevant information).
The marina is open the year round.
It has reception office, restaurant, shop, duty-free shop, recreation ground, toilets and showers with hot water, parking lot, fuel and gas pump.
Hoist (5 t); slipway; repairs.