PODGORA (43° 15'N; 17° 05'E), village (pop. 1,452 in 1991) and small harbour 5M southeast of Makarska. Off Podgora there are two small harbours: the eastern and the western one.
Approach: Podgora may be identified by a conspicuous white curved monument situated on the hill above Lijak point and by the light column (no longer in operation) on the molehead in the eastern harbour.
Mooring: The western harbour affords shelter from all winds and waves, the eastern one only from the bora. Winds blowing from the SE quadrant raise a heavy sea. Smaller yachts can berth in the eastern harbour (depth 2.74 m); the depth alongside the breakwater in the western harbour range from 1.1 to 2.5 m. Only small yachts can anchor in front of the town during the bora. Good holding ground.
In old harbour there is a small harbour under construction (for 130 yachts). Along the breakwater there are berths for fishing boats.
Facilities: Post office, medical service, chemist's. Food supplies at local shops. Water in adequate supply. Fuel at the petrol station at the Adriatic highway (above the town).
Sights: In the older, upper part of the town a number of defence towers erected as protection against the Turks and a church dating from 1764. The monument Seagull's Wings (Galebova krila) commemorate the formation of the partisan Navy of WW II.