TROGIR (43° 31'N; 16° 16'E), city (pop. 10,266 in 1991) and harbour on an islet in the narrowest part of Trogirski kanal. It is linked with Ciovo island by a drawbridge (it is not opened; only small vessels without a mast can pass under it) and with the mainland by a stone bridge.
Approach: The W entrance should be approached with the belfry of the church of Sv Mihovil in line with the belfry of the Cathedral; after passing Cubrijan point (green tower with a column and gallery, green light) course should be shaped for the central part of the drawbridge, leaving the conical green buoy (green light) to starboard and the cylindrical red buoy to port. The E entrance to the harbour is marked on the N side by a cylindrical green buoy surmounted by a cone (green light), a conical green buoy (green light) and a conical buoy surmounted by a cone (green light). Approaching from S the fairway is marked by three cylindrical red buoys. The green buoys should be left to starboard and the red ones to port.
Mooring: In Trogir Marina.
Warning: Anchoring is prohibited in Trogirski kanal E of the line connecting Cubrijan point and the pier in Seget Donji harbour as far as the meridian 16° 16.3'E. Landing is prohibited along the quay on the stretch (120 m) from the root of the drawbridge westward.
Facilities: Harbour master's branch office, post office, medical service, chemist's, restaurants, hotels, shops; Jastog Fishing Club and Mosor Sailing Club, the head office of the Commodore of the Dalmatian flotilla of Cadet sailboats.
Provisions; water from the hydrant on the waterfront; fuel at the petrol station on the Adriatic highway and Trogir marina.
The Trogir shipyard undertakes all hull and engine repairs and has docking f
The Medena hotels are situated in the village of Seget, 1M west (1.5km by road) of Trogir.
Trogir is the venue of the summer festival Trogirski tjedni (Trogir weeks).
Sights: Sections of old town walls with gate facing the mainland coast (1315 C); the Kamerlengo Castle (142037); Kula Sv Marka (St Mark's Tower, 1470); Sv Lovro cathedral (St Lawrence, 1315 C, famous Romanesque portal by Radovan, 1240), Baptistry, Ivan Orsini chapel (146897, works by I. Duknovic, A. Alesi and Nicholas of Florence); small basilica of Sv Barbara (910 C), Sv Ivan Krstitelj church (St John the Baptist, 1270); the Benedictine convent (1064, renovated in 17 C) with Sv Nikola churh, the Dominican monastery (14 C, museum of sacral art) with St Dominic church; the City Loggia (1308) with the Clock Tower; the small Loggia on the waterfront (1527). Mansions: Cipico (Gothic, 15 C), Lucic (Renaissance), Garagnin-Fanfogna (Baroque, houses the Archeological Department of the Municipal Museum, with the Greek relief of Kairos god of the propitious moment, 1 C). On Ciovo island: the churches of Sv Ante na Dridu (St Anthony, 1432), Sv Kriz (Holy Cross, with cloister from 15 C), and Gospa kraj mora (Our Lady by the Sea, early Romanesque). Park of the Fanfogna family monument of garden architecture.
TROGIR MARINA (ACY Grassetto) is situated on the N coast of the island of Ciovo, between Trogir Bridge and Cubrijan point, opposite the W part of the town.
The marina has floating fingers with 200 sea-berths (depth 45 m) and 50 dry-berths on the coast.
The marina is open the year round.
The marina has reception office, restaurant, snack-bar, shops, duty-free shop, toilets and showers with hot water; water and electricity hook-ups, telephone; petrol station; car park.
Launching and hauling up of vessels (hoist 10 t), slipway, maintenance and general repairs. Major repairs can be executed at the Trogir shipyard.
KASTELANSKI ZALJEV (Bay of Kastela), a spacious bay closed from the S by the island of Ciovo and Marjan peninsula. On its N coast are 10 settlements, seven of which are Kastela (settlements that developed around defense fortresses). The W part of the bay is linked by Trogirski kanal with the Bay of Trogir; In E part is the northern harbour of Split. The bora and sirocco are strong in the bay, the latter causing a heavy sea in the W part. Smaller yachts can moor in the following harbours: Nehaj, Kastel Stafilic, Kastel Novi, Kastel Stari, Kastel Luksic, Kastel Kambelovac, Kastel Gomilica, and Kastel Sucurac. All these harbours are sheltered from the bora and Kastel Novi, Luksic and Sucurac from all other winds as well except the south-westerlies.
In the E part of the bay: Galija shoal (depth 3.6 m; yellow and black cylindrical light-buoy, a black column surmounted by 2 black cones points up); Galija rock (masonry mark, black and red spar with 2 black spheres) and Galija rock (cylindrical concrete house; the green sector of the light covers the rock and Galija shoal); Silo shoal (cylindrical black and red tower with a column and gallery, 2 black spheres) E of the rock; Garofulin shoal (4 m; black and red spar with 2 black spheres) off Poljud.
Special regulations. Anchoring and fishing are prohibited in the area inside the line drawn from a point on the mainland 700m NE of the green tower (green light) on the breakwater of Divulje harbour, to a point 2000m offshore E of the above light and thence southwards to a point on the line joining the summit of Marjan and the easternmost light-buoy in Trogirski kanal; then continue on the same line towards Trogir past the ruins of the old mill (on the coast, some 1M west of the harbour light in Divulje) and thence to a point on the coast S of the mill.
Navigation and stopping is prohibited to all vessels (with the exception of naval vessels) in an area contained between the coast at the small harbour of Divulje and the lines joining: the floating mark 600m offshore of the green light on the breakwater in Divulje harbour bearing 66°; the mooring buoy 250m offshore of the same light, bearing 190°; the floating mark 600m offshore of the above light bearing 260°.
Navigation is prohibited in the area between the coast and the 4 floating marks off the Adriachem factory (Kastel Sucurac) and the green light-buoy (surmounted by a cone) some 500m off Marjan point bearing 5° and the shore NE of that point; stopping, anchoring and fishing is prohibited in the E part of the bay marked by the following points: the root of the N breakwater of Lora harbour Silo shoal Galija rock Skoljic islet Rat point. Mooring in the small harbour of the Institute for Oceanography and Fisheries at Marjan point is allowed only with special permission of the Institute's management. All underwater activities are prohibited in the bay.