BOL (43° 16'N; 16° 40'E), village (pop. 1,478 in 1991) and small harbour on the S coast of Brac. Major tourist resort on the island.
Approach: The belfry of the monastery E of the town is prominent. Landmarks further include the grey building of the monastery, the square masonry tower with a green cupola exhibiting a green light situated on the head of the breakwater. If approach is effected from the W, care should be taken to avoid the shoal water extending off Dugi rat, point usvally referred to as Zlatni rat (Golden point) in tourist literature.
Mooring: The harbour is protected from all winds except southwesterlies, which are apt to raise a heavy sea; the bora is strongly felt entering the harbour in gusts from different directions. Yachts drawing up to 2m can lie alongside the breakwater. Its W side is reserved for local passenger lines.
Facilities: Post office, medical service and chemist's. Large wine cellar and sardine salting plant. Food provisions and water. Fuel from the petrol station on the waterfront.
Sights: Roman finds (water reservoir); Early Christian sarcophagi; stone fragments with old Croatian interlaced patterns in Sv Ivan church (St John, 11 C). In the harbour the Jelicic Palace (15 C), the citadel (Kastel, 17 C), Gospa od Karmela church (Our Lady of Carmel, built in the Renaissance period, reconstructed in Baroque style in 1785). E of the town a Dominican monastery (collection of objects of cultural and artistic value) with Sv Dominik church (St Dominic), after 1475, paintings of the Venetian school, coffered ceiling with paintings by Tripo Kukolja about 1710); Modern Art Gallery Branko Deskovic; Murvica (above the town a deserted hermitage and Dragonjina spilja, a cave with fig ures carved in stone). Concerts and Ribarske fraje, fishermen's festivity in the summer months.