HVAR (43° 10.5'N; 16° 27'E), town (pop. 3,643 in 1991), tourist resort and harbour on the S coast of the island of the same name.
Approach: Landmarks: the stone tower mounted on a pedestal exhibiting a white light on Pelegrin point, the square stone tower above a dwelling exhibiting a white light situated on the islet of Pokonji dol, the red iron tower with a column exhibiting a red light on the NE edge of Jerolim islet, the forts Spanjol and Sveti Nikola, the television mast W of the city, Galisnik islet with a square stone tower exhibiting a green light on its S side.
Anchorage is prohibited in the passage between Galisnik islet and Krizni Rat point.
Mooring: The Hvar harbour is exposed to north-westerlies. Southerlies, especially the sirocco, raise waves and an unpleasant swell inside the harbour. The S part of the wharf is used by vessels on regular services. Yachts drawing up to 2.5m can lie at the waterfront W of the small harbour Mandrac using four-point moor. Larger yachts anchor N and NW of Galisnik islet (depths 2025 m). Smaller yachts can anchor in the middle of the harbour (depths 810 m) securing their sterns to bollards on the W shore. Yachts can also sail into Palmizana Marina on the islet of Sv Klement (Pakleni otoci).
Facilities: Harbour master's branch office, post office, medical service, chemist's. Pelegrin Fishing Club. Zvir Yacht Club.
Naturist beach on the islet of Jerolim S of the harbour.
Fresh food provisions at the shops and the self-service store. Water laid on to the NE waterfront (hydrant). Fuel obtainable from the pump on the pier in the E harbour Krizna Luka. Minor repairs can be arranged; slipway (width 5 m).
Sights: Town walls (built after 1278, additions in the 15 C). The Palace Hotel (1903) occupies the site of the demolished Rector's Palace; the Clock Tower (Leroj, 1466, reconstructed); Spanjol (elevation 109 m, built 1551) and Sv Nikola forts (formerly: Fort Napoleon, built 1806, elevation 241 m); harbour (port development since 1455, the Venetian fleet of the Eastern Adriatic used to winter here); the Arsenal (1579-1611) into which galleys could be hauled up and the adjoining Fontik (housing historical archives, a Gallery of Modern Painting, the wooden figurehead of a dragon from the galley sent by Hvar to the Battle of Lepanto, 1571). Above the Arsenal a Theatre (built 1612, one of the oldest in Europe still extant, renovated in 1803 and 1900); Sv Stjepan cathedral (St Stephen, built in the 1617 C on the site of an earlier cathedral dating from 14 C, liturgical objects dating from the 1517 C, Gothic-Renaissance choir-stalls treasury) with the campanile from the 17 C. On the main square: the town well (1529); the residential homes of the families Paladini, Hektorovic (unfinished, 15 C), Grguric, Lucic, Vukasinovic; the summer residence of the dramatist Hanibal Lucic; the City Loggia (by Tripun Bokanic, early 17 C); Sv Marko church (St Mark, preserved side walls and belfry from 1550, lapidarium; the tower of St Venerando on the extremity of the headland (now an open-air thetare); the Franciscan monastery (1461-64) in the SE part of the town (Renaissance cloister and refectory, collection of paintings, illuminated manuscripts, naval charts, old embroidery, archives, library), with Gospa od milosti church (Our Lady of Mercy, 1465, reconstructed 1571, three polyptychs, carved choir stalls, paintings by Italian masters).