SUMARTIN (43° 17'N; 16° 53'E), village (pop. 618 in 1991) and small harbour in the E arm of the cove of the same name in the E coast of Brac.
Approach: Landmarks include Selca village (pop. 1,093 in 1991) above Sumartin, the square masonry tower with a cupola exhibiting a white light on the E entrance point and the red iron tower exhibiting a red light on the breakwater head.
Mooring: The bura and the sirocco (SSE) are only moderately felt. An unpleasant swell creeps in with S and SW winds, the E part of the cove being especially susceptible to it. Yachts drawing up to 2.5m can lie alongside the breakwater. The W landing-place can accomodate only smaller boats (depth from 1.42.4m alongside). Larger yachts can anchor in the middle of the cove (depths 3038 m). During the bora anchoring yachts should secure their lines ashore as well.
Facilities: Post office, medical service. Food provisions and water (in limited supply). Repairs to yachts and boats can be effected at the Lucica shipyard. Maintenance jobs and limited general repairs to marine engines at two local workshops.
Sights: Franciscan monastery (17 C), archives, collection of objects of historical and cultural interest), with a church dating from 18 C. Selca (Sv Martin church St Martin, from 1911, with a sculpture by Ivan Mestrovic); in the park bust of Leo Tolstoj (by J. Barda) and of Stjepan Radic (by A. Augustincic); in the vicinity the remains of a prehistoric hill-fort; old Croatian Sv Nikola chapel (St Nicholas) with a cupola, 11/12 C (a number of old, round stone shelters, called bunje) 3km inland.